Skip to main content

40 Movies For 40 Years: 1992

This series is not about the best movies ever made. It’s not a list of the movies that I think have done the most for the craft of movie making. It’s not about the ones that speak to my soul or the ones that make the earth a better place to be. It’s simply about listing the movies that are my favorites from any particular year. A few things go into that decision. Sometimes its nostalgia and I’ll admit that. There are some movies that I saw when they first came out and the illicit a response from me and there is no denying that. The other thing that I think about is how a movie has grown on me over time. I had no interest in JFK when it was first released, but now as an adult I can appreciate a few things about it.
It is with that preamble explanation that I announce my favorite movie from 1992…Wayne’s World.
I just heard a lot of eyes roll.
I’m as much of a comedy nerd as I am a movie geek. I love comedies of all kinds. And one of the things that most fans of comedy have in common is…

A Few Thoughts On Tolerance

I’ve really been biting my tongue lately. There have been so many stories that have circulated in the last week or so that have done nothing but spawn hate speech toward one group or another. So, instead of going on a rage-induced rant on Facebook or getting into a Twitter war with someone, I decided that I would calmly lay out some things that I believe here in my little corner of the internet.

A couple of weeks ago there was a mass shooting in Orlando, FL. I’m sure you’ve all read the story so I won’t detail it. But, essentially, a man gunned down a whole lot of people in a night club and about 50 of them died. It is one of the most horrible shootings in US history…though all shootings are horrible. There has been speculation that it may be considered a terrorist attack since the shooter identified as being affiliated with ISIS.

The thing that has really gotten to me is that this club was a “gay club”, meaning that most of the people that hung out there were homosexuals. As I read through the posts on Facebook after it happened I noticed something a couple of times that really made my heart sink. There were actually Americans online that were trying to say that the victims had it coming. They were saying that they lived a life of sin and that this was God’s way of punishing them.

I felt sick.

I was raised in central Alabama. The town that I grew up in was very small. When I say that it was very small I mean that you should think of Mayberry and make it smaller. Mayberry, at least, had a diner and movie theater. We had a video store, a small grocery store, and a library. Oh, and churches. There were lots of churches. You couldn’t throw a rock without hitting a church.

My family was pretty religious so I grew up being taught very conservative points of view. It wasn’t until I grew up and started to actually interact with the world that I realized I had been taught a very “my way or the highway” point of view. Just to give you idea of what I mean…the vast majority of Christian churches in this part of the country look at homosexuality as being a huge sin. They think that it is an abomination and that God has been known to destroy entire cities of people to get rid of it. Some of them go so far as to claim that God has sent diseases to us to destroy the gay population. So, I grew up hearing all of this stuff. I lived a large part of my life believing that if a person was gay that there was something wrong with them. We believed that we should love the person but hate the sin, which translated to mean that if you knew a gay person you were supposed to make sure that you didn’t approve of their lifestyle and try to make them see that what they’re doing is evil.

Looking back on that now, I can’t believe that I ever felt that way. There are so many things wrong with that way of thinking.

First of all, the same bible that they are drawing these conclusions from says that God sees all sin as equal. So, even if homosexuality were a sin, it wouldn’t be any worse than gluttony. So, when you see some extremely overweight person yelling in your face about how homosexuality is an abomination…they’re being a hypocrite.

When the Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples could get married I was never more embarrassed to be from the state that I’m from. Because every time I turned on the news or I logged onto a news site I would see some lawmaker or judge making waves by standing in the way of implementing the ruling. And guess where they were usually from. You guessed it…Alabama. Roy Moore has been a blight on this state for 20 years. His need to be a martyr for his beliefs has turned him into a joke.
I don’t want to come across as bashing the church. I don’t feel that way at all. I consider myself to be a Christian and I still live by the things that I was taught as a child. But now, as an adult, I find that I can’t just blindly believe in something just because someone tells me to. There are just too many things that don’t make sense.

The argument of whether or not homosexuality is a sin is not one that I’m willing to take on. Mainly because I can’t point my finger at someone and claim that they are sinning when I have a problem with gluttony and anger that can be seen as sins as well. If I had to pick a side I’d say that no, I don’t think you’re sinning just because you love someone. God is love and he wants us to be happy.

That being said, we have to stop this idea that the laws of our land have to fall in line with our religious beliefs. That is just not the case. Just because you believe God says something is wrong does not necessarily mean that it should be against the law or that it should have tons of restrictions placed upon it. The argument comes up so often that the United States is here because our founding fathers wanted to escape religious persecution and that they built the country on their religious beliefs. I’m in disagreement with that. The founding fathers left England because they didn’t want a king telling them what they could and couldn’t do. So they built a country that is now trying to do the same thing to another group of people by telling them who they can and can’t marry.

Anyway, I’m not sure that this came across as coherent as I had originally planned. I hope that it did and I hope that it didn’t offend anyone. It’s just the way that I’ve grown to feel over time I don’t blame my parents for teaching me what they did. They taught what they’d been taught. I just hope that my more tolerant views rub off on my kids and carry them forward into a world with less hatred than what we have now.


Oh, and if I see anyone on my friends list saying that the victims in Orlando deserved what they got…we won’t be friends anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Stretching From Here To Pletcher"...a tribute to Steve Latham

Today is a dark day.
If you’ve ever read any of my blog posts before then you’ve heard me tell the stories of my experiences in high school. I was bullied. I was bullied a lot. It’s something that has affected me my entire life. It has caused social anxiety issues that I deal with to this day. It’s not something that I like to remember, but it’s my history and it’s a part of who I am.
Granted, I was an awkward teenager. I didn’t play any sports. I wasn’t on the little league team. I didn’t even like watching sports...I still don’t. I don’t know enough about football to have an extended conversation about it. The stuff that I was into was a lot nerdier than that. I liked Star Trek. I liked reading science fiction and fantasy novels. I liked writing stories. I liked watching old black and white monster movies. I liked British sitcoms. Like I said…weird kid.
When I was a junior in high school I signed up to be a library aid for one class period a day. I figured I liked to be around book…

Seventeen

He was a kid.
He wasn’t literally a child. I mean, he was technically a grown man at the age of 23. But he hadn’t really experienced much of life. The small town life had been all he’d every really known and he had not yet figured out what his place in the world was. He made $6.50 an hour at a job that didn’t really hold much of a future for him. He spent his days working and at night he’d sit alone in his room, watching TV and wishing that there was more to his existence.
She was a kid, too. She was only 22. And in her short life she’d actually already lived a lot. She’d lived long enough to have been hurt by the man she loved. And she’d been around long enough to have a precious little boy that meant the world to her. She thought she had everything she needed. She thought that if it were just her and her son that she’d be fine.
The Universe had other plans.
These two met one day. They went on a date. Neither of them was really out to find a relationship. They were each just trying …

13 Reasons Why: A Parental Review

As I walked by my daughter’s bedroom a couple of weeks ago I saw her staring intently at her phone. I could tell that she was enthralled in something and I figured she was catching up on some of her favorite shows.
“What are you watching?” I said, trying to be the dad that knows what his daughter is doing.
“It’s a new show on Netflix,” she replied. “It’s called 13 Reasons Why. Everybody at school is watching it.”
I thought nothing else about it. I very rarely condemn anything that my kids are watching unless I know that it is something extremely violent or raunchy. The title actually registered in my mind because I had seen the book on the shelf at the bookstore and online a few times. I knew it was a young adult title so I figured a Netflix show based on that should be alright. I mean, she’s seen The Hunger Games, right?
A couple of days later my wife tells me that she saw a few stories online about some kids that have committed suicide after watching the show. That sounds a little f…