The Social Purge

Over the past few years I’ve noticed something about myself. My ideas about the world around me are changing. Things that I used to have a problem with no longer upset me. And things that I was once accustomed to is really starting to bother me. I don’t know if it’s something that comes with age, but ideologically speaking…I’m a different person than I was twenty years ago. Actually, I think I’ve changed a lot just in the last ten years or so. I’ll give a few examples.

When I was a kid growing up here in the south I was taught that homosexuality was a sin and that anyone that is homosexual is going to Hell. I no longer think that way. I now think that homosexuals are regular people who have a lifestyle that is a little different than mine. I believe that their choice of mate should have nothing to do with their rights and that loving someone is not a reason to go to Hell.

I was raised in an area that was pretty thick with racism. The hatred was mostly directed toward black people, but racists are usually equal opportunity haters. People of another ethnicity were usually regarded as being lesser citizens, which I find funny as I look back now because most of the people that thought that way were not very well off themselves. I have to say that I heard the “n” word daily for a long time…and no, I didn’t grow up in the 60s. This was the 80s.

I live in a part of the country that is thick with the belief that all of our laws should be written based on what the scriptures they believe in say. People say that this country was founded on those beliefs and that it is the standard that our entire country should abide by. As I’ve matured I now realize just how much of a melting pot America really is. I see that there are people of all kinds of nationalities and beliefs and that forcing them to live their lives according to the morals of one group of people is insane!

This country was not founded by a bunch of people that wanted freedom to worship the way that they wanted. This country was founded by a bunch of people that wanted the freedom to choose how to live their lives without their government forcing their beliefs on them.

Does that sound familiar? But that’s a different discussion.

I’m talking today about my social purge. Over the last few years I’ve read things on Facebook that have made me cringe. Things written by people that I’ve known for years. Things written by members of my family. Homophobic or racial comments that I would not dare say in a public place, much less in a public forum. Whenever my local news channels post about sensitive issues such as Black Lives Matter or gay marriage, I’m embarrassed by the comments that my fellow Alabamians write below the stories. This state, and especially this city, has a long history of hatred that was rightfully earned…but it’s one that a lot of us would like to see some redemption from. Unfortunately, there are those out there that still hold on to some of those beliefs and won’t let it go.

Over the past couple of years I’ve tried to make a few waves going in the opposite direction. I’ve tried to post things that go along with my newer mindset in the hopes that people could just get a glimpse of the other side of the argument. I’ll post a short status update supporting a gay couple who is being denied their marriage license. I’ll give support to a trans gender teenager that doesn’t want to be forced to use the boys’ room for fear of violence. I’ll make fun of Trump.

I love to make fun of Trump…but I love to make fun of Hillary as well.

But, when I make those waves they usually crash against a brick wall. I’ll get comments that quote a lot of scripture as if Bible verses are the ending to any argument…usually written by someone that isn’t really understanding the argument to begin with.

I don’t want to cause strife. I don’t want to be the cause of anger. I don’t want to tick off family members before Thanksgiving.

So, I’m making a conscious decision. I’m not doing it anymore.

I’m not making political posts anymore. I’m not making any more posts about racism. I’m not going to talk about social issues…at least not on Facebook.

I’ll still make posts about bullying, since that is a topic near my heart. And some of those posts may have to do with some of those other topics. But I’m not spouting my position on those topics on social network sites anymore.

I have a blog. I will get all of that out here on this site and I’ll share the link on Facebook. If anyone wants to know what I think then I’ll tell them.

My Facebook page is going to be used for promoting my websites, plugging my podcasts, posting funny pics and memes, and staying in touch with family and friends. Everything else will fall here.


My Facebook page is going to become a much more positive place. Hopefully, it will be a place that you can come to when you want to forget about the stuff that other people are posting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Stretching From Here To Pletcher"...a tribute to Steve Latham

13 Reasons Why: A Parental Review

Spare The Rod...