Skip to main content

40 Movies For 40 Years: 1992

This series is not about the best movies ever made. It’s not a list of the movies that I think have done the most for the craft of movie making. It’s not about the ones that speak to my soul or the ones that make the earth a better place to be. It’s simply about listing the movies that are my favorites from any particular year. A few things go into that decision. Sometimes its nostalgia and I’ll admit that. There are some movies that I saw when they first came out and the illicit a response from me and there is no denying that. The other thing that I think about is how a movie has grown on me over time. I had no interest in JFK when it was first released, but now as an adult I can appreciate a few things about it.
It is with that preamble explanation that I announce my favorite movie from 1992…Wayne’s World.
I just heard a lot of eyes roll.
I’m as much of a comedy nerd as I am a movie geek. I love comedies of all kinds. And one of the things that most fans of comedy have in common is…

40 Movies For 40 Years: 1978

I had my first birthday in 1978. It was a big day for my family because it meant that my mom and dad had gotten through their first year of parenthood without killing me. I have no idea what my cartoon character my cake was made to look like. I don’t know what decorations that my mom put up for my party. I’m not even entirely sure that I had a birthday party. My dad was in the Air Force when I was a baby and at the time that I turned one I believe he was still stationed in Ft. Walton Beach, FL, which is the same place where I was born. This was a good four hour drive from most of my extended family so I doubt that they all made the trip just for some cake and ice cream.

1978 was also a big year for movies. John Travolta had another hit in theaters when he donned his leather jacket in Grease. Clint Eastwood was taking care of business in Every Which Way But Loose. And Michael Myers was chasing down Jamie Lee Curtis for the very first time in Halloween.

It wasn’t until December that one movie in particular came out that has since found its way into the list of movies that have had a profound impact on my life. On December 15th we learned that a man could fly when Superman hit the screen.

Superman stars Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder, Marlon Brando, and Gene Hackman. It was directed by Richard Donner.

I have to make a confession. I was a huge Superman fan when I was a kid. I read Superman comics, watched Superfriends every Saturday morning, and even watched a lot of reruns of the old black and white series starring George Reeves on Nickelodeon. I had a ceramic lamp of the Man of Steel on my desk in my bedroom that my mother had made for me. And even after the lamp part broke, I still kept the statue part as a decoration. I wish that I had that statue now.

My obsession with the Last Son of Krypton didn’t die out as I grew up as most things tend to. I didn’t read the comic books as much in my late teens and early twenties, but I still consumed as much as I could. The day that the animated series hit the airwaves was a very happy day for me.

And when I was 19 I had the “S” shield tattooed on my right shoulder. Yes, you read that correctly. I have a Superman tattoo.

So, obviously, as soon as I was old enough to watch this movie I was placed in front of it as often as it was on television. In the days before VCRs that must have been fairly frequently because I remember seeing it a number of times as a kid. My first few viewings kind of washed over me. I didn’t understand a lot of what was happening with the Marlon Brando scenes. I just remember being amazed when Reeve showed up in that costume and commenced to saving the day. Looking back now I realize that it was almost a full hour into the film before we see that famous costume, but I didn’t know that back then.

Getting Superman to the screen was a pretty big endeavor. There had been a lot of issues involving the film rights to the character that dated back a good 5 years before the movie finally came out. And then the process of finding the right people to make the movie had been daunting as well. Mario Puzo, the man who wrote The Godfather, penned a 400 page script. That is an obscene length for any film, much less a simply story based on a comic book.

The production had its share of directors attached to it as well. Steven Spielberg was Puzo’s choice. He turned it down but said that George Lucas would be a good candidate. Lucas was tied up making Star Wars at the time. Finally, after a few location changes and script alterations the job was given to Richard Donner, who decided that he wanted to start from scratch. The script at this point had grown to 550 pages. He had it rewritten which probably didn’t make Puzo very happy.

A lot of Hollywood’s leading men were considered for the role of Superman. Burt Reynolds, Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Charles Bronson were just a few actors that were seriously thought about. Ultimately, Donner decided that he wanted someone that was unknown to fill the red boots. He wanted the audience to look at the character and see…the character. If it had been someone huge like Schwarzenegger no one would be able to see anything but Arnie in tights.

Reeve was given the part even though he didn’t show up to the audition in a muscle suit as he was requested to do. He was in very good shape and his posture and look just resonate on the screen. He truly looks like Superman. And I always thought that making some beefcake play the part would have been a big mistake anyway. Superman isn’t strong because he’s big…he’s strong because he has super powers. He doesn’t have to be big to have that.

The rest of the cast play out pretty well. I’ve always thought that Margot Kidder may not have been the best choice to play Lois Lane because she’s a little too brash and off-putting. I find it hard to believe that this Kansas farm boy would fall for her. But, she does fit the part of a 1970s newspaper reporter so I guess it does work in that respect.

Gene Hackman is a fantastic actor. He is one of Hollywood’s living legends and he has definitely earned that distinction. But I’m not that big of a fan of his portrayal of Lex Luthor. In the comics, Luthor has evolved over the decades. While he was simply a mad scientist of some sort in the early days, he has since become a truly threatening, and powerful foe for Superman. Hackman portrayed him as being a kind of conniving and smarmy crook bent on gaining real estate to make himself rich. It’s not really a true representation of the character. But, in the late 70s I realize that they were going for something that would make people laugh and that they didn’t really have to think too much about. The sad thing is that we have never gotten a true transfer of Luthor from page to screen. The closest we’ve ever come to the real thing was Michael Rosenbaum’s portrayal of a young Lex Luthor on Smallville.

Comic book movies are all the rage today. Marvel is releasing two titles every year. DC is doing their best to keep up. And there are all sorts of other comic book properties making their way to our theaters and living rooms every year. From The Avengers to The Walking Dead, adaptations of comics have proven to be a huge industry. And more importantly, we have proven that superheroes are something that we aren’t going to get tired of any time soon.


And all of that can point to 1978 as its origin. When Kal-El’s tiny ship crashed into that Kansas field it changed a lot of things about movies. Superheroes have regularly found their way to us since then. And it all started when Christopher Reeve sailed over the Earth, smiled, and drifted into our hearts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Stretching From Here To Pletcher"...a tribute to Steve Latham

Today is a dark day.
If you’ve ever read any of my blog posts before then you’ve heard me tell the stories of my experiences in high school. I was bullied. I was bullied a lot. It’s something that has affected me my entire life. It has caused social anxiety issues that I deal with to this day. It’s not something that I like to remember, but it’s my history and it’s a part of who I am.
Granted, I was an awkward teenager. I didn’t play any sports. I wasn’t on the little league team. I didn’t even like watching sports...I still don’t. I don’t know enough about football to have an extended conversation about it. The stuff that I was into was a lot nerdier than that. I liked Star Trek. I liked reading science fiction and fantasy novels. I liked writing stories. I liked watching old black and white monster movies. I liked British sitcoms. Like I said…weird kid.
When I was a junior in high school I signed up to be a library aid for one class period a day. I figured I liked to be around book…

Seventeen

He was a kid.
He wasn’t literally a child. I mean, he was technically a grown man at the age of 23. But he hadn’t really experienced much of life. The small town life had been all he’d every really known and he had not yet figured out what his place in the world was. He made $6.50 an hour at a job that didn’t really hold much of a future for him. He spent his days working and at night he’d sit alone in his room, watching TV and wishing that there was more to his existence.
She was a kid, too. She was only 22. And in her short life she’d actually already lived a lot. She’d lived long enough to have been hurt by the man she loved. And she’d been around long enough to have a precious little boy that meant the world to her. She thought she had everything she needed. She thought that if it were just her and her son that she’d be fine.
The Universe had other plans.
These two met one day. They went on a date. Neither of them was really out to find a relationship. They were each just trying …

13 Reasons Why: A Parental Review

As I walked by my daughter’s bedroom a couple of weeks ago I saw her staring intently at her phone. I could tell that she was enthralled in something and I figured she was catching up on some of her favorite shows.
“What are you watching?” I said, trying to be the dad that knows what his daughter is doing.
“It’s a new show on Netflix,” she replied. “It’s called 13 Reasons Why. Everybody at school is watching it.”
I thought nothing else about it. I very rarely condemn anything that my kids are watching unless I know that it is something extremely violent or raunchy. The title actually registered in my mind because I had seen the book on the shelf at the bookstore and online a few times. I knew it was a young adult title so I figured a Netflix show based on that should be alright. I mean, she’s seen The Hunger Games, right?
A couple of days later my wife tells me that she saw a few stories online about some kids that have committed suicide after watching the show. That sounds a little f…